Monday, August 10, 2009

Night of Orientation in Yamaguchi City



So to clarify for some peeps that have been confused....I live in Yamaguchi Prefecture...You can say it is like a State in the U.S....Kind of. Or like a big county. So when I said my Placement was Yamaguchi, that wasn't my City, it was my county. I life in Hofu City, in Yamaguchi Prefecture.

So I think Upland's motto is: "City of gracious living." and I LAUGH when I remember that Tustin was "Live and work where you will, but Shop in Tustin". Yamaguchi Prefecture's is: "Even though you've never been here before, It will feel like home." Money. *and for parents and such, money is a term that is a bit Sarcastic, and funny.

So Every single JET in my Prefecture (newcomers, and re-contracters) had to go to Yamaguchi CITY which is the capital of the prefecture, for our Contracting/Re-contracting ceremony. Christina and I were happy to find out for the first time that there is one more JET in our city...a second year JET that we didn't know existed until the Contracting and subsequently the Orientation (and subsequently the night of drinking) :) So here are some pics from my day in Yamaguchi.

(I did spend the night in a hotel, then went to the 2nd day of Orientation, then went home to Hofu...so I don't really have pictures from the second day..it was just orientation then home. Orientation consisted of workshops such as "owning a car in Japan", and "how to clean you tatami mats so you don't get mold in your apartment".)


Below: I think Tiffany, Brent, and I look weird because this was taken after I exclaimed: I NEED A PICTURE, LETS ACT LIKE WE'RE SINGING. when we were already singing. Hahah Note to self: try not to act, when you are really doing something anyways.



I Just want ya'll to know that I spent 15 minutes trying to get those pictures that are facing the wrong direction to go the right way! and obviously, I still couldn't get it to work.


The night went down like this: All you can drink, and super-appetizers. And then to the Karaoke bar, which I thought would be far, but was actually in the same building.
We meant a few Japanese Japanese locals who we hung out with. It was really funny during Karaoke, because songs that we all know and love....we sang like crazy people, and they were just looking at us like "WOW..."

Note to all Americans going abroad, and planning to do Karaoke at least once. YOU BETTER KNOW "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey, and all of Bon Jovi's Stuff, and all of Michael Jackson's stuff, and Brittney Spears: "hit me baby one one time" and yes.....Sir Mix-a-lot, or whoever does that Butt Song. Very popular with drunk Americans. :) :) :)

-Steffy

P.S. I followed through on that contract signing ceremony...so I'm here. Can't back out, even if the Japanese food almost kills me. :) I'm very happy though, already getting to know some of the students I will have when school starts in September, because they come to school in full uniform during the summer, even on days when there is no class, or no clubs. I don't get that. Today, my favorite student (yes, I already have favorites) came in the teacher's room to say hi, and she said she just came to meet friends...so why not meet at the mall in regular clothes? I don't get it yet, I guess...will I ever get it?...

No comments:

Post a Comment