Saturday, August 8, 2009

Gotanshin Festival night 3


We missed the 2nd day of the festival, but the 3rd day was completely different from the 1st day. It was ROCKING! It felt like there were thousands of people there. There were a bunch of stalls selling food, gimmicks, and more food! There was a rap concert going on, and traditional taiko drumming performances. I saw one of my students there, and I hope all my students will be like her! She was so happy to see us there, and practice her English.

Christina and I had to get up the next morning really early to head over to Yamaguchi City for our contract signing ceremony...or else we may have stayed at that festival all night!




We could tell early on that day 3 festivities would be more grand...because the candles started all the way down the arcade. The first night, the line of candles only went to the entrance at the foot of the shrine. The 3rd night, it marked the road leading up to the shrine through pra
ctically the whole city! I'm really sad we didn't get there early enough to see the procession. Or was there a procession? I don't know how they got so many of thousands of candles out, but I was told by my volunteer student, that there were only like 20 volunteers to put them out, so
probably no procession.

Dad--this is what the arcade looks like, the main covered street that goes down the center of the city. There are only openings every big block, for perpendicular traffic.


No comments:

Post a Comment