Wednesday, August 19, 2009

G.I. Joe

Hi! I just wanted to put up a quick post about my day today (I know I still have lots of Tokyo pictures to put up)....

After work today I went to see G.I. Joe in the theatre. Its women's day, so I got a discounted ticket...to 1000 Yen ($10 bucks). BTW I think I'm only gonna talk in Yen now, so just remember to move the decimal over 2 to the left!!!

So, yes, I went by myself. I don't mind seeing movies by myself. I go to buy the ticket, and the lady is pointing at a seating chart, asking me where I want to sit?

Can't I sit anywhere!!? Oh no, its like the night-bus of dread...its assigned seating! :) So I sat in J-9. I just thought that it is an interesting little tidbit for ya'll that movies are assigned seating.

One other thing of interest...when the movie ended, no one got up. It was a pretty full theatre. 2 people left. 2. I counted. The rest of the entire theatre stayed until all the credits were completely over, and the lights turned back on. Pretty interesting. Of course I stayed too...gotta feel out the culture and stuff. Do as they do. :)

One other thing, that I hear about from lots of other English teachers here too...is that it is very common for the foreigner to be the only one laughing, because so many jokes in movies are insinuated....or you have to have a strong command of English to get it.

Which I'm sure is absolutely true with every language and culture. Even today, when I was talking on the phone to my sister, she used a Japanese colloquialism that I didn't get at all, because she watches so much anime. I think she said "I like my food raw" or something like that when I wasn't talking about food at all...its just a phrase i've never heard of that means something or another. "I like my food raw." vs "needle in a haystack" yep. language is weird.

Oh, and btw, I didn't think the movie was terrible. But I do feel that the movie would not have been as good without the genius of Christopher Eccleston. I just love that actor. Love him. I would volunteer to have nanobots put in my brain and evil'fy me to be able to kiss him too!

No comments:

Post a Comment