Saturday, August 8, 2009

Festival Closing...



I love Taiko. I just love it. I wish I could do it. I think that it is the most amazing thing ever. I hesitate to put any video or pictures of it up, because NOTHING, no professional photographer, or videographer could ever do it justice.

In high school, my AP Language Arts AP TEST had me do an essay on this exact topic. I can't remember what the exact question was, but it was something like "Some say that a picture is worth a thousand words...Do you agree or disagree? Does taking a picture of something inherently cause it to lose some value?"

I can't remember how I answered (I only remember that I got a score of 3...barely passing!!! grrr, hehe), but I wish I could know what I know now, and re-answer the question.

I am going to put what I have up, but just to let you know, about a 1/4th of the way through the presentation, I stopped taking pictures and video. I was more focused on trying to get a great picture, than I was on enjoying the drumming. And please, if you have never been to a Taiko performance, find one, and go. It was just sooooo amazing, and it made me literally cry. It was so passionate, and I felt like there was thunder coming from everywhere around me. It was beautiful, terrifying, raw, and perfect all at the same time.



VIDEO:


From Wikipedia:

Uses of the taiko in warfare

In feudal Japan, taiko were often used to motivate troops, to help set a marching pace, and to call out orders or announcements. Approaching or entering a battle, the taiko yaku (drummer) was responsible for setting the marching pace, usually with six paces per beat of the drum (beat-2-3-4-5-6, beat-2-3-4-5-6).

According to one of the historical chronicles (the Gunji Yoshu), nine sets of five beats would summon an ally to battle, while nine sets of three beats, sped up three or four times is the call to advance and pursue an enemy

No comments:

Post a Comment