Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Inkan



The little red stamps are equivalent to our "signatures". My JET handbook says of Inkan: In Japan a personal seal is normally required to conduct business. It carries the same weight as a signature in Western countries. You will probably need one to open a bank account, sign contracts, and conduct other business". The inkans are different for every person. I have my own inkan (thats my signature/inkan in red on the far right of the page).

Its true, for something as important as a bank account, I never once SIGNED anything. I "INKAN"ed it. :)

The purpose of this post is actually to show a bit of the Japanese bureaucracy. This form is a form I had to fill out in order to be absent from my base school this Thursday, in order to be at my Contract Signing ceremony. Its an official function, yet I still need to turn in 2 forms for it. The 5 inkans at the top of this picture are the approvals that were needed. That just blew me away!!!! 5 approvals needed for me to go to something that they asked me to go to! I'm sure they are just formalities, but basically my form had to pass in front of 1) my principle, 2)vice principal, 3)office head, 4) head of curriculum, and 5)one other person (I forgot), in order for the permission to be granted.

Whats funny (to me and my American sensibilities) is that once the school year starts, I will be at schools other than my base school for 3 days out of every week! Its a set schedule! Yet each week, I still need forms, forms, forms. How 'bout one form for all year, because it will be the same everyweek!

Pass the red ink please! :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment