Friday, March 12, 2010

Farming in Three Acts

Once Upon a Time on a beautiful Sunday afternoon...

I went farming, takuan makin' and scavenging with my friend Tom, and was then lucky enough to be invited back for dinner with his awesome family!!

Act 1: Farming




I love farming. You know why? I love wearing those boots. They're not mine. But I get to borrow them whenever I'm put to work. As you can see, I also got to handle a sickle. Many a favorite memory of mine involves a sickle.












The farm is awesome. Here I managed to pull out a daikon. So far I haven't been made to pull any weeds or do any real work. I just get lots of free daikon, carrots, peppers, herbs, etc. But then again, I think the devil gives you years of happiness before taking your soul. (jk I'm looking forward to actually helping at the farm rather than take take take!)








Act 2: Starting the Takuan Process


So Takuan.....Takuan.... what is it? I know what it is already because they used to feed it to me all the time at the Korean Preschool that I worked at. But the Koreans call it Tamujii.

It is kind of like pickled radish, I guess? Its good.

Basking in the clouds, washing, peeling, cutting, smothering.




After the Daikon is in
that state --->
And salt is poured all over it, you close up the bag, and put 30 kilograms worth of rocks on top, and let it sit for a couple of weeks.

I quite possibly messed up some of that information, so please, check out Tom's blog.





Act 3: Scavenging (Or foraging as the British say)




Scavenging for a rare flower bud...hukinotou (butterbur flowerheads).

...not an easy task.









I think that I was able to find about 3. And I ate about 3 later on, so I'm not a help!











My day is finished out by eating the fruits of our labor. An oishii (delicious) salad comprised of only our farm pickings' accompanied this deep fried butterbar.

Many people do not like the taste. It is pretty bitter. But I love it. And Tom's wife Izumi is quite possibly the best cook in town.




I guess this was a comedy, 'cause there is definitely no bad ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment