Sunday, May 23, 2010

Kanreki


還暦 Kanreki

I recently learned about the Japanese tradition of Kanreki. I found it very interesting, and love learning new things like this!

65 is the big number for Americans, right? Well, in Japan its 60. You can read all about why it is "60" on the site I linked above (Kanreki).

But it is traditional to have a party on the special day. On this day, all the party attendees must come bearing 'Red Gifts'.

The gifts are red because Kanreki is for celebrating a "re-birth" or "being a baby again" or just starting fresh. Babies in Japan are all nicknamed "赤ちゃん " or Aka-chan which can mean "cute little red thing".

I'm sure looking forward to retiring myself! Maybe I can pretend I'm Japanese and retire early, and get a bunch of red stuff. :)

Red is my favorite color.

No comments:

Post a Comment