Thursday, February 11, 2010

"Some Holiday"

Not until yesterday did I think about asking a co-worker: "What is National Foundation Day?" I knew that I had this Thursday off, for a while now. I just didn't care why! Day off!

Turns out that I'm not the only one. "hmmmmmmmmm, I don't know" said the first co-worker I asked. Then my supervisor walked by. "hmmmmmmmmmmm" she said. The first co-worker I asked got out his little electronic dictionary/encyclopedia.

Apparently there may or may not have been some bloke called Jimmu Teno, somewhere in Japanese history. Teno, by the way, means Emperor. So this Emperor Jim(mu) was the first emperor of Japan, and he was either crowned or born on this day. And he may or may not have existed.

Thats what I got from my co-workers.

:) I just think its interesting, and I'm not making fun of it! Its just nice to know that Americans are not the only ones that appreciate days off because they are days off. What the heck is Presidents Day? I don't know! Is it like..., celebrating all the Presidents? Or just certain ones? It is this Monday, back in the New World right?

So after getting back from enjoying my day with good friends in a new city...I decided to look up National Foundation Day. My co-workers were actually quite right. "They" say that this Emperor Jimmu was throned in 660B.C. on this day, so very long ago. But no one seems to deem these historical records accurate. I'm okay with that! Keep the National Foundation Days rolling on in!

Here are some pictures from my day in IwAkUnI! I'll do a separate post on my Iwakuni adventure later...but just to add some color to this post:

Iwakuni--bridge area. More on this later.
Just like home! Taco, enchilada, sour cream, jalapenos. Thank you cities with military bases. Thank you white guys who demand good food in the city in which you are stationed.
Mike double fists it with Mexican beer and a margarita.
I hate margaritas, but its not something I can get anywhere in my area! Gotta go all out, if you're gonna go out. Hi Matt and Sophie!

No comments:

Post a Comment