Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ohayoo Gozaimasu!

So this post is definitely on something I don't understand...but all I can do is record my humble observations. Above, you can see 10 High School students standing outside. They are looking on, waiting for another group of students to trek up the hill to the high school. As soon as said group of students is about 10 meters away, the line will start saying (almost shouting) Ohayoo Gozaimasu! Ohayoo Gozaimasu~! This means Good morning.

It is more awkward for me, because I don't usually walk with a group, and they don't know whether to scream "Ohayoo Gozaimasu" or "Gud-mourneng!" at me. :) If I'm feeling very English teacher'ish I scream "Good Morning" to them first, so they can practice this ever-so-important salutation! Yet, I think they get too much practice with this one, because students still stop me in school at 4:30 p.m. to tell me "Good Morning."

I think that the morning greeting is a great great part of the Japanese school system. I just don't know how each week's "Greeters" are chosen. Most of the time, actually, stationed at the front of the school are two teachers. Usually one male, and one female. They just stand there from about 7:55a.m. to 8:23a.m. (the teachers meeting is at 8:25 so they must rush inside), and say good morning to every student that comes into the school gates! This is pretty spectacular, when you think about how freaking cold it has been. I am always greeted on my way into school, if I am on a normal morning schedule.

(sidenote because I mentioned teachers meeting--there is a teachers meeting every single morning, without fail...I really want to audio-record what the teachers room sounds like from 8:10-8:24 in the morning...there is NO WAY to explain it on here...but to the foreign ear, it is freaking ridiculous!!! I can't even try to explain. ... A lot of grunting GOZAIMASU'es)

So I look forward to my greeting tomorrow. Its a new week at that school, so I am wondering if it will be a group of students, or the normal male/female, seemingly random teachers. I am also resolved to ask tomorrow how they chose the fate of those lucky greeters.


No comments:

Post a Comment