Sunday, January 24, 2010

マイマイ新子。。。Hofu anime!

Mai Mai Shinko and the Thousand Year Old Magic.....thats the name of this anime. Mai Mai is the Japanese word for cowlick. And Shinko is a girl that...you guessed it, has a big cowlick on her head.

Plot Summary from animenewsnetwork.com:

" Ten years after the end of the Second World War, in a backwater rural town which used to be a major regional capital in Feudal Japan, Shinko, a girl with an active imagination who daydreams about the town as it appeared a millennium prior, befriends Nagiko, a shy girl from Tokyo whose father relocated to the town to become a doctor for a factory. The film follows their day to day lives as they take care of a goldfish in a makeshift pond, fantasize about a cloistered and lonely young princess who moved to the town in the Feudal Era, and help a boy cope with a family tragedy. "

So guess what? The "backwater rural town" is HOFU! It was really exciting for me to find out about this movie, because it is a major anime, in wide release in Japan, and probably all my anime freak friends at home know about it too. hehe. Maybe--Jen (sis!)--do you know about this movie?

Anyways, I went and saw the movie on Wednesday...even though it was all in Japanese. I couldn't pass up the chance to see a movie set in Hofu. I will admit, only because someone (Christina!) may call me on it...that I fell asleep for at least a 1/3 of the movie. But its still exciting that its my home, and I recognized the mountains right from the opening scene.

If you have a few minutes, please watch the opening scene...this is where I live!

--> http://www.mai-mai.jp/movie08.html

Of course its a little more built up now. One last really exciting thing to me is that the high school that I teach at got a shout out in the movie's credits. I still haven't figured out why yet. But perhaps one of the teachers at my school gave some interviews for the movie or something. But it was cool to see my school's name up on the big screen.

This is the most exciting thing for me since I found out that Next Friday was set in my real hometown of Rancho Cucamonga, CA! haha.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

GO HOFU! Or as they call it here. Ho-who.


No comments:

Post a Comment