Sunday, January 31, 2010

Anko 餡子


Anko- Red Bean Paste. It is used in a bunch of sweet foods/snacks here. All around Asia I think. Vietnamese moon cakes have Anko inside. It is very sweet and distinctive. I don't like it very much. Sometimes, I can enjoy a red bean confection if I have a steaming cup of coffee in front of me.

Speaking of steaming...

Unko- Watch this if you want. Its pretty gross. Its a short video about Unko-san (the character in the picture above.)
But yes, Unko is poop.

So Anko, and Unko. Anko, Unko. Anko, Unko. Red Bean paste, poop, red bean paste, poop.

It was a Wednesday morning. A 42 student class. We were talking about food. In front of my 42 students. I said "I don't much like to eat Unko, its okay, but not great."

I said it in all seriousness, but the entire class couldn't stop laughing at me. They didn't know where that came from either, because, of course, to them Anko and Unko are two completely separate words. I tried to explain myself when I realized what I did. But the damage was done.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment