Friday, January 15, 2010

The Hike

On Sunday I really felt like going on a hike. No, thats a lie. I didn't feel like doing anything! But I couldn't in good conscience just sit on my bum another second! So I got off my bum up and went on a hike. And when I say hike, I mean casual walk. And when I say walk, I mean more of a hobble at some points....because I realized that I left all my tennis shoes at home in California! When it got to the really uphill rocky parts, these shoes turned into a bit of a hazard.

It was really good day to climb that mountain. At the base of the mountain is a famous shrine~Tenmangu. I have another post or two that takes place there. Unforeseen by me, there were festivities going on there. I'm pretty sure the festivities were related to the holiday on the following day--Seji no hi. 成人の日 is always the 2nd Monday of January. Its for "Coming of Age". Its a day devoted to celebrating the arrival of a new group of people into adulthood. Adulthood in Japan is 20.
Anyways, it was either a Seji no hi thing, or some kind of late new years celebration, but there were loads of people at the shrine, and many girls wearing kimono. I should have asked. I am getting better at Japanese, but still don't have the balls to simply find a friendly face and ask "What's going on?" grrrrrrr. The fact that I can't tell with with assurity what was going on really bothers me. New leaf. now. (wow, assurity is not a real word, I just figured out!)

My view from the not quite top. This picture is just prettier than the one from the actual top. This is my city!!!! There is a fable... of water. Somewhere. :) Behind those mountains in the back of the pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment