Monday, December 7, 2009

Updatey update pt. 2



Hello! Updatey update pt. 1 featured some veggies from a local farm... So I thought it just to follow the same title.

Yesterday was very cool. I woke up, cleaned, and then went to play volleyball with 5 other JETs. I love volleyball!!! But I am very sore today... Props to all 5 other players that put up a good fight against the Steff'an'ator. ;)

Then to keep with the theme of being outdoorsy and cool like that, I went farming with my friend Tom. I want to publicly say that Tom's wife Izumi is the coolest Japanese chic around! This I am saying outloud because in the BBQ post...a couple posts ago, I made a mistake on her name. *I smack myself in the head. I will fix it in a sec, so don't bother trying to see my mistake!

So, we spent some time pulling up fresh radishes, purple Japanese lettuce, pepper of all varieties, different types of lettuces. Okay, I'm really bad at this. I don't know the names for everything we got. Most of the plants were different from the last time I went to the farm...and these ones all had Japanese names! Luckily Tom tells me as I cut and pick stuff how to prepare it. So I may not know the names of this stuff, but I sure as heck remember which parts of what are poisonous, no need to be cooked, or can be eaten raw!

We also drove by the Tom/Izumi orchard of greatness, where we had that BBQ before, and picked some citrus'y fruits that of course I don't know the names of either. I kept calling things "Daidos" as it seems like everything he told me started with "Dai". So I was always close.

So we picked a bunch of Daidos, and then went back to their apartment, where I played with their son, and Izumi made dinner for us all, using stuff we just picked! It was not only the most beautiful salad ever, but the best tasting. I love radish! And Daido leaves!

If Tom or Izumi are reading this: Free baby-sitting. Serious.

Anyways, that was all yesterday, and tonight, I had a wonderful dinner too. Radish salad. Boiled Daido leaves dipped in Wasabi Sauce. Stir fried Daido stems of various colors, with tofu and rice. Wow, sounds pretty vegan. Unless there is something I don't know about in sesame seed dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment