Friday, September 10, 2010

Firefly Festival



Perhaps you will forgive me......but this is from MAY 29th!!!!

I don't want to just throw out this blog that has been patiently waiting in its queue. A blog opportunity is a blog opportunity, no matter how old it is.

Or maybe not.

So what was this firefly festival again? Oh, yeah. In Yamaguchi city, there is a cute little area. A walkway along a darling river. The river bank fills up with fireflies around this time of year. Before coming to Japan, I have (to my knowledge) never seen a firefly. So it was a nice night, to say the least.




It is appropriate, but by no means mandatory to dress in Yukata for any summer festival. Yumi here (left) was so amazing, and took us to her aunt's house, who is a CYP. "Certified yukata person" (hehe). Yep, thats the best I could come up with. :) But she is a professional, so she dressed us up in 2 of Yumi's yukatas. The belt is called an Obi. You may know the word "Kimono", but Kimono's are even more complex, and are only for the winter. Summer-yukata, Winter-kimono.

The friendship bond between Christina and I was solidified this night! Friends that dress in yukata together, stay together. :D

BTW, Yumi is the most awesome person in the world, and insisted that we both keep the yukata's that we were suppose to just be borrowing.

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen a firefly either. so maybe I need to go to Japan. Sounds like a good enough reason to me! That's a cute photo of the two of you holding hands! - G

    ReplyDelete