Monday, June 13, 2011

Peace


I received this a while ago while meandering around Hiroshima. A woman approached, near the atomic dome, and started chatting. She pulled out a box, and gave me this carefully folded flower pin. The whole time, I was thinking: "I don't want anything." "Not interested." "Okay, fine, how much?"

It was a weird moment for me, because I realized how American it is of me to always think that people are trying to sell stuff. In Japan, you go buy things from people. The people don't come to you. I felt a little ashamed of myself for thinking she was trying to get a couple hundred yen out of me. Really she just wanted to chat, and let me know that she appreciated that Americans would come here now, to learn about the sad history.

I've only been asked for money here twice, in 2 years. So why can't I shake the feeling that someone always wants something? I need to get rid of that feeling. I need to enjoy every moment here, and not worry about anything else. :) And I'm trying. This Hiroshima incident was over 2 months ago, but I still think of that nice lady who just wanted to give me a handmade flower pin.





No comments:

Post a Comment