Monday, June 13, 2011

English Club


Running English club is part of my job here! I used to have English club every day, but now I have Thursdays off (which I am sad about~).

I'm always trying to come up with stuff to do for English club, to keep it exciting. I'm not sure how much I succeed, but this year I have a lot of new members at all of my schools! At my base school, I even have 2 boys! BOYS! Boys don't join English club! Really, it's exciting to have helped build up a club that is big and inclusive and fun, yet beneficial.

For example, four of my English club members participated in a Prefectural-wide English speech contest this last Saturday. I stayed late and went in on my days off to help prepare them for it. One of my girls got second place! (I truly believe she deserved first, but 2nd isn't bad, and it's always about the experience.)

I cried when we arrived back in my city's station, because I realized that the speech/recitation contest was the last one I'd ever be attending, at least as the coach. The next contest is in October, when I will be home in America.


My kids made all these English club or "E.S.S." signs. E.S.S. stands for English Speaking Society, our official club name. The picture here to the right says: "2011. This year, you must study English." With the Karate Kid on it. So cute!

Recently we had another burrito day. But we made burritos for the principal and vice-principal and all the teachers that were around. My girls and boys were running through the halls with plates of burritos to make everyone try. Even for the teachers, it was their first time ever trying a burrito.








A lot of what I do is trivia and jeopardy type games. If you have any good trivia, please send it my way!

I'm going to miss my English clubs so much. The person taking over my position at the end of July BETTER be good! I can't wait to find out who it is. I can't wait, I can't wait!

I didn't get to meet my predecessor because she was traveling in other parts of Japan, but I'll still be here for a bit, so hopefully I can go to school with them, and show them the ropes for a bit. Mostly so I can try to convince them to do things my way. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment