Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Jenny's Visit 2

I spoke yesterday about my sister and I going to "Sanzoku"..an excellent restaurant and landmark in Iwakuni, Japan. This post begins just there. From Sanzoku, our beautiful friend Yumi dropped us off at the nearest Shinkansen (bullet train) station, and we went directly up to Kyoto, Japan.

The children in front of us for a couple of stops were the cutest kids ever. hehe

By the way, I'm going to insert here that bullet train travel is really something else. What is it called in the U.S. again? I know there is some kind of huge debate over this, but I'm totally on the side of bring this transportation system in America. Japan's public transportation is a billion times more convenient than in America. If I wanted to, I could easily get anywhere I wanted to go in Japan, without a car. I hate that I need my car in the U.S. I'm determined to use my car MUCH less when I return to California. I'll figure out what meager system there is, and buy a good bike.

Oh, yes, what was I talking about? Kyoto.... :)


It took us way too long to find our hostel. The subway took us within a 2 minute walk of the hostel, but when I called she confused me by telling me to cross the street. No street needed to be crossed! haha. It was a very nice hostel though. We had a private room, for about 25 bucks each. I guess the only thing that makes hostels different from your average hotel is that you have to make your own bed....and the common area is way better than anywhere. And it's cheaper.

This (above) was our first meal in Kyoto, a Italian restaurant attached to the hostel. We made friends with the waiter above. I know, I know....why eat Italian in Kyoto!? You don't understand how tired we were after finding this place. Japan is way more advanced in terms of public transportation, but there is no such thing as a simple street address!!!!!


Oh, speaking of the common area in our hostel...it was equipped with 6 totally free computers, a big screen TV hooked up to an X360/PS3 with dozens of games, couches, books, food (pay a bit on the honor system), etc. If all hostels were like this one, I'd never pay for a hotel again in my life. And I'd travel alone, since making friends with other hostel-goers in the common room is bomb.


Our first morning in Kyoto, we checked out the maps, and decided to visit Arashiyama (storm mountain).

But first--breakfast/lunch!

Here's my sister's first time eating cold soba. It's my favorite Japanese food. Only when it's cold. I don't like hot soba! You dip the cold noodles in a wasabi mixture thing.

Then we hopped on a bus that took us 45 min. to Arashiyama at the very west side of the city.






Here is one of the scenes in the Arashiyama area. But more about that in a future (perhaps tomorrow??) post!

Cheers, friends!




-------


Whoop! I thought I was done. But here this picture is. So I suppose I'm not. haha. Might as well leave this picture here, because I don't know if it will fit anywhere else. I'm not going to do a whole post on the Kyoto International Manga Museum. So anyways, we also went to the Kyoto International Manga Museum (the day after going to Arashiyama). It was pretty interesting. I'm not a manga person, but I could appreciate it's history and facts about it. I did not realize what a big enterprise it is....how much money goes into it, and how much money it makes every year. The amount is huge. Manga is not just for kids. I'd say it's mostly NOT for kids. Just like video gaming. Gamers are not children. I may not like manga, but I consider myself a gamer!

Okay, bye again!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I agree..I don't understand why the US doesn't have a shink-like mode of transportation. Everytime I ride the monorail at Disneyland, I imagine how cool it'd be to get around like that. They're proposing it... the California High-speed Rail; it's probably YEARS away still considering the budget....

    ReplyDelete