Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bunkasai Season



So, Bunkasai season is just about over. Bunkasai is a Japanese cultural festival, and every school has one each year. You can read more about it if you would like: here.

Each homeroom class (usually 40 students) is in charge of one activity. Sometimes it's selling "American Dogs" (strange hot dog on a stick). Sometimes it's making a movie. Sometimes it's creating a game. Parents, friends,... anyone is welcome to the school that day, and there are many crazy festivities!

Left--My co-teacher dressed as a student for a dance. Each class sings, dances, does a drama and the like, in addition to decorating their homeroom classes and executing their activity.






I have been to more bunkasai's than I can count! Usually a bunkasai lasts for 2 days, and I have 4 schools.... Also I have been to other ALTs Bunkasai's. They're fun! Good bonding experience, bunkasai'ing it up with someone. :)














This one was really cool! The kids changed their homeroom class into a giant giant maze!







Bunkasai's are pretty crazy. It's the only time that the kids can really let out and be rambunctious. I don't think I've been to one bunkasai without a great deal of cross-dressing. Japanese boys love to dress up in school-girl uniforms at their bunkasai's! It's just really odd to me, but what's not to love??


Below: Kids performing Thriller. Every bunkasai has a Thriller moment... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment