Friday, August 27, 2010

Korean DMZ


When I went to Seoul, late last month/early this month---it was my first time there. I was in Pusan before, but mostly for shopping and eating, so I wanted to make sure I could get a lot of cultural and learning stuff in, this time around.


Christina and I took a day tour of the Demilitarized Zone.

Here, on the way, in our tour bus, we could catch sight of North Korea, across the river.




It was definitely a very serious trip. We had to be dressed modestly. We were told over and over again to be calm, respectful, and weary of our surroundings.

It was a strange day to go, especially because everyone was on very high alert. The high alert was because at that time, in the Joint Security Area, there were very high level talks occurring about the sinking of the South Korean ship in March.
Above is the actual Demarkation Line. The soldiers on the far end of the picture, stand away from the camera are North Korean Soldiers. We were only given literally less than 30 seconds to take pictures. We were under strict 'orders' to not wave to anyone on the other side, not make sudden movements, and to not even smile. There were some North Korean tourists on the steps on the other side. Whether or not they are government workers paid to pose as tourists or not, I will never know.


That South Korean soldier behind me yelled at me for taking a picture when I wasn't suppose to, on the bus! I didn't know! Our tour guide told us each of the places we could take pictures (like 2 spots, for 10 seconds). But her English was very hard to understand, and I thought that she said we could! I'm still scared of his wrath! (I had to delete the beautiful photo right away!)


Here is one of the fences at the border. These are wishes and prayers hung by South Koreans. The whole situation is so devastating. I can't even imagine, yet it still brings tears to my eyes to think about how families were torn apart. The isolation of the North Koreans.

That day I went and visited the DMZ was chilling and enlightening.

I hope that anyone reads this makes it a point to learn something new. Something about a part of the world you are unfamiliar with.








...and then hopefully one day, the world won't need weaponry like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment