Friday, August 13, 2010

Octopus Balls

I recently had the pleasure of visiting Osaka! More coming, more coming (eventually) but here is one little tidbit on Osaka...

Osaka is famous for Takoyaki, which are Octopus Balls! Well, pieces of Octopus in a doughy-ball. Its a very unique flavor. I must say, when I first came to Japan, it was definitely not my favorite, due to the sweet brown sauce and mayonnaise that is usually slathered on top of them.

But I've come to really appreciate them! The ones I ate in Osaka were "Oishii!" (delicious)

Below: Making Takoyaki is very simple if you have a Takoyaki grill. You can buy the mix, or make it yourself. Add water. Start cooking the ball, and while its still juicy juicy, you pop on the top of the half-ball the octopus, some ginger, maybe some cheese, and then you flip the ball while its still wet. So the half-ball becomes a full ball because the batter was still runny enough. Wow, I don't think I explained that very well. Sorta like carefully flipping ball-shaped pancakes.


Hope everyone is well!

1 comment: