Monday, November 23, 2009

Weekend BB-Que!!!

So this post is from a wonderful day back on October 24th! I had previously mentioned by new friend Tom. Tom, I had randomly waved at during a festival...but little did I know our paths would cross again at a local elementary school. Usually I only teach at 3 schools...2 high schools, and a special needs mixed school (mostly junior high and high school). But when my base high school is in testing mode (about 5 times a year) I get to do all my work at a local elementary.

It was my second day at the elementary, and since I'm not there enough to warrant a desk...I get stuck in a little waiting room in between classes. I was expecting just to get a lot farther in my latest Sookie Stackhouse novel, but instead, there was Tom...stuck in the waiting room with me! He owns his own private English company, and the elementary school also calls on him! I may have already stated all this. :) Anyways, he invited me to a BBQ he was putting on, and here are pics from the BBQ!!!



His family has two plots of land. One is where his farm is, which is where I got lots of veggies that I showed in a previous post. But the second plot is overlooking this beautiful beach!

Here, Tom and family have all the makings for a good BBQ. Picnic tables, benches, the BBQ :)

The BBQ was scheduled to begin around 3:00pm so that when we were done eating, we could watch the sunset!









Here is Tom, getting his BBQ on. The other people at the BBQ were his students. They decided to have a "Special Class" which just meant English conversation over great food and drink!

We all met at a local supermarket at 2:00p and bought all the fixings...and then drove over to the BBQ location. His students were really cool people.











We BBQed for hours, and had many different dishes. There were two BBQ's and at one point, one was a big pot, where we steamed these sausages that you can see on that rack!

Tom was the master BBQer but we all had our chance to cook.














Here's Tom and his cutie cutie cutie baby! This little lad learns English in the home, and Japanese outside of the home. Meaning both Tom and his wife Izumi are billingual, so they try to provide stability in learning by speaking only English at home, and only Japanese outside of home. I really hope that baby Kento picks up his dad's British accent!










Kento is lucky to have such a great mom and dad! This was really such a lovely day...you know, one of those days that you can't possibly explain via blog. Just one of those days that you look forward to whenever you are down! I'm sure I'll be BBQ'ing there again sometime this year! Maybe in the spring though, after this cooooooooold weather passes. This day last month may have been the last nice day for the next few months!









We all watched the Sunset, cleaned up (a little...I'm sure Tom had a lot of work ahead of him the next morning!), and then went out for a while to Laughable. We all made it home safe and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment