Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cobu Night

Yesterday I thought I was going to see Taiko Drumming, which I've talked about before on this thing. I bought the tickets in advance for me, my supervisor, and another Japanese Teacher of English (JTE). We have dinner (which was actually hard, because most restaurants are closed on Mondays). Then we go to the Taiko.

First of all...we hand the tickets to the ticket takers, and are subsequently told that they are the wrong tickets. We were trying to use tickets to some other performance from Oct. 17th. I was so mad and embarrassed. Its my fault because I bought all our tickets. But on the other hand, whoever sold me the tickets is responsible, because I have NO IDEA where she would have gotten the idea that I wanted tickets for that other show. I basically bought the tickets by continually pointing at the flier that was the Taiko flier. It was very very clear what I wanted. But I should have thought to check the tickets. I feel terrible still...Still waiting on word if they will give us a refund for those.

So we bought 3 tickets at the door for Taiko.

It was very very different than I expected. It wasn't traditional Taiko at all. Definitely some form of Taiko, but not traditional. It was Taiko/Hip Hop Tap Dancing/ EVERYTHING. These gals basically did the most rad variety show ever. They sung, they flipped, they played traditional Japanese guitars, they did some sign language. Everything they did went "BAM" in our faces. It was really cool.

I thought the show was too racey for Hofu. This town...not very racey. Some of the dance moves they did, made me feel awkward...worrying about all the 日本人 around me. Like how I felt during Bella and Edwards kissing scene in Twilight while watching with family. But everyone seemed to enjoy it. The one complaint that I heard was about how they wore their Kimono's. They were put on for show, and I guess I can see how people would find that a little disrespectful, because Kimonos are such a huge part of traditional culture here.

Anyways, I didn't take any pictures...no one else was... but they are on Youtube. I think you can watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHEJ0ODoJ8M&feature=related .

Or just search for: Cobu-- Fusion of Taiko Drumming & Funk Tap Dance.

I love this city. But how did such a cool group come to Hofu, Japan? haha. "Yeah. I think we should go to Hofu. I've always wanted to perform there."

Separate thought:
Now everyone at once...lets pray for the aforementioned refund.

No comments:

Post a Comment